Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Next time, I think I'll go alone.

Who decided that it would be a good idea for babies to learn to RUN before they learn how to REASON??? I have some serious issues with this idea.

During the first year and half of Sadie's life, we could go shopping without any problems. And even now, most of the time, she is fine. She does seem to have an hour time limit though.

Well, yesterday was NOT one of those usual, manageable times. Not, Not, Not. I bought my camera (LOVE it, and got a cute case which it spends most of the time inside). There, Sadie wasn't that bad, but she was HYPER. She wouldn't let me hold her, and she would just run & run & run! It wasn't helped by the fact that checking out was taking FOREVER because of my wonderfully difficult price matching. Anyway, I think 3 workers thought my child needed Ritalin, but we made it out happy.

The same could not be said about our next stop. It was 10min past her very scheduled nap time, but I thought I would risk it. We went inside Old Navy. I just needed to exchange a pair of pants for a new pair. Well, of course I also needed to check out any deals in the baby section. So it wasn't as quick a trip as planned, but it wasn't long. The pants I was exchanging I had accidentally already removed the tags. So I had them folded up inside the pants. I could tell Sadie was getting restless so I headed towards the check out. I got out the pants while she started acting up and lost the tags! I think they went under some shelving. I tried looking for the tags, but couldn't find them. Sadie calmed down a bit, but I knew it was time to go.

I looked down at her in the cart and she's holding a stuffed animal she grabbed from who-knows-where in that store. Well, I wasn't about to pay $5.50 for a stuffed key chain, so I asked Sadie for it. She said, "No, No, No." That was it, I knew what I had to do. I went for the toy and Sade started the scream. I had to PRY it out of her little fingers. But I got it! Sadie just kept wailing. I kept asking her to look at me and telling her to be quiet, but I might as well have been talking to the stuffed animal. She heard none of it.

I'll admit it, I was actually mad at her. She's gotten to be a better communicator and it really bothered me that she wouldn't listen. I picked her up and practically ran out of the store. Sadie sobbing the entire way. We passed what felt like dozens of people (in reality, 4ish) in the store who probably thought "That girl sure can't handle that baby." I kept pleading with her to be quiet. I mean, I can have 30 fifth graders listen to me all day every day, why wouldn't Sadie?


Sadie trying to look innocent.
Don't let her fool you. ;)


Well, I struggled, but managed to get her in her carseat still crying. And do you know what this girl called out between sobs??? This little thing I was so mad at calls out, "HUG? HUG?"

I couldn't help but laugh a little. There I am in the middle of the parking lot hugging my tantrum of a daughter. Oh this little baby, has me figured out for sure.

So, I left the store with un-returnable pants, and down one sippy cup (I was too embarrassed to go back in and look for it).

BUT I did get a pretty sweet hug from a girl who doesn't want me to be mad at her.

4 comments:

Nichol Family said...

I am glad that I am not the only one with a toddler that acts that way every once in a while. Usually I can take Mia anywhere but I had a similiar experience on Saturday and then once we got to the car all she wanted was kisses. Sadie is pretty dang cute!

Beth said...

Whatever. All those people you passed where probably saying "Oh I've been there before."

Megan said...

Life with little ones is fedinitely full of crazy chaos and embarassing moments! I am glad you made it out alive. ;) Once my mom and I tried to take our kids to Gymboree (this was when I had two and she had three, and they were all under three years old) and we ended up chasing three little boys in "stolen" hats and stocking feet down the mall, and then changing THREE diaper blowouts in the parking lot when we left! I'm glad we were able to laugh about it. I'm glad you were able to laugh too, and enjoy that sweet little hug. Cute blog and darling family!

Helen said...

Too funny. I was cracking up in Library reading this. :) I'm subbing for Claudia. JOY! lol. You have a very smart girl. :) Hugs?....love that part. You are a great mom. Hang in there!