Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Brrr! I WISH I was talking about the weather!

I woke up this morning a couple minutes early, just by chance. I didn't even need my alarm, I was ready for a fresh, new day! I got my clothes and headed to the shower. I turned on the water and waited patiently for the warmth to come. Our apartment building is quite old, so every morning you have to wait a few minutes for hot water, no big deal. So, I waited...and waited........and waited. Uh-oh! Nothing! Not a drop of hot water! In fact, it was so cold it felt like ICE CUBES! Too cold to even TRY and get in! It's official, we have a broken water heater! Our building has 4, but this one ruined it for everyone! We called the plumber and he worked here ALL DAY putting in a brand new heater. When he left, he told us to flip a switch that started the pump and wait a couple hours for the heat. Again I waited....and waited...and waited! It's been 5hours and still ice! It turns out that the pump that brings us our hot water has also seen its day. The plumber will come back tomorrow and replace the pump. One more day showerless for me! Yucky! I need to go to work tomorrow, so I got resourceful:






That's right, I started heating my own water. I had three 9"X13" pans in the oven too! So tonight, I took a bath! It took about an hour to get enough water, and the tub was less than half full. The water barely covered my legs while sitting. If you haven't seen me lately, my little "bun in the oven" isn't so little. This bath took some acrobatics to finish! LoL! But for the most part, it worked! My hair is clean, my skin feels fresh, I can go to work tomorrow!

How did the pioneers do it? :) I don't think I'd make a great pioneer, I like to smell good...or at the very least not stinky! I did pioneer trek back in the day. I went 4 days without showering. We weren't allowed to bring soap or shampoo. In fact, the first day they searched our bags and took our deodorant! It turned out okay, because everyone stunk, so you didn't really notice. But now, if went to school 2days w/o bathing, I think someone would notice! I hope it gets fixed tomorrow! Cross your fingers!

P.S. What a great time to start managing the apartments, lol!

6 comments:

Amy said...

Oh so sorry Alli that is NOT fun! I don't think I could have been a pioneer, I like to be clean. I loved seeing you on Sunday and your adorable bump. I wish mine was so cute and round! I hope all gets fixed with the water soon!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Look at you! All resourceful and what not!

Ashlee & Christian said...

That is no fun at all. We had the same thing happen a little over a month ago. It took them 5 days to fix our water heater, so yes we did the heat all the pans of water thing too and it took us an hour as well and by that point it isn't even warm anymore but at least it wasn't ice cold. We thought the same thing, how did the pioneers do it and then Christian reminded me, some people still do it today. It made me appreciate the little things we take for granted.

Dallin and Megan Dyer said...

That is terrible! I hate the feeling of getting in a cold shower! We really do need to get together. I will send you a Facebook message!

Bekah B. said...

I am Laughing my guts out!! O alli...this is totally something you would do!! So sorry that it happened on your shift! I need to see you all prego!