Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Failure to Thrive

Yes, my sweet Sadie Rose is technically "failure to thrive."   What a mean term. Failure.  Sheesh. They could say something like, "trying to thrive." ;)

Remember when she was put on the "high fat diet?" (-the link to my fave video: oreo vs. broccoli) This summer at her 3yr old check-up she fell off her curve for weight and height.  Thumbs down.  It's not that she's crazy small, she isn't.  The concern is that she's not staying in her percentile.

There is some debate whether or not her stats actually meet Failure to Thrive.  The Dr's stats say there's a problem.  But we have some WIC stats that say she might be okay. I like to say, she's BARELY thriving.

Either way, I know she eats the minimum that I force her to.  She doesn't have joy in food.  Even in her favorite foods, Sadie has portion-control all too mastered.  I don't think I've ever seen her finish a whole cupcake.  She likes it, just would rather play than eat.

Ketchup Smile-proof she does eat!
So, in just over a week Sadie has a weigh in!  I'm putting m&m's on her PB sandwiches, and handing her Pediasure shakes almost daily.  I would LOVE if she pulled 30lbs on the scale, but I'm pretty sure she's a few pounds shy.


Thrive, Sadie, Thrive!

2 comments:

Jordyn said...

Oh no! I hope little Sadie can pack on some pounds! ...I'm also kind of wishing that my problem instead! ;)

Mary Ellen said...

My neice just reached 30lbs and she's six. She's got a great brain and tons and tons of energy. My guess is Sadie is just fine. Dynamite comes in small packages!