Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Debate!


To pierce or not to pierce?!? Call me crazy, but I think earings on babies are cute! It's one more way to make sure everyone knows she's a girl. I'm nervous writing this because I think everyone is going to be completely against it. Cory doesn't really want me to do it, but says I can if I really want to. Last time I was at the doctors I noticed they had a sign saying that they'll pierce ears if the baby is at least 3mos. Ooo, I want to!!! Should I???

14 comments:

Jana said...

I got my ears pierced when I was 8 and it was tramatic and led to me being terrified of needles so I say definately do it before she'll remember it, just in case.

Jude, Namea, Kuu said...

If Cory is against it, we say do it. Jude, Namea, Kuu

Adam and Aujelle said...

Got mine pierced when i was 6 weeks old... so i am all for it!! I think it would be way super cute on her!! And I have no regrets of getting mine so young! Would have done it when i was older anyways!!

Mitzi said...

You'll hate my answer. I think they're adorable. I got mine pierced at 3 days old. That's what they do when you're Puerto Rican. I really wanted to carry on that small part of my heritage (since I know almost nothing else about it). Graham is firmly against it. "Let it be a rite of passage for her". So, although he was thinking 8-12 years old, I've decided that she can get them pierced for kindergarten.
If Cory says no and you say yes, I actually think Cory should win because it's the "do nothing" choice. I can't really put into words what I mean...just know this. I REALLY want to do it, oh so badly. But because my husband objects, there is something that stops me from doing so even though I could care less about his reasons.

Tiffany Anderson said...

I am all for it!!!! The day Paige got her 2 month shots she also got her ears pierced! She cried while it happened and then she was fine and has not had a problem with it since! I say go for it. Also if you do they say that there is some healing to nursing...so take her when she is a little hungry and feed her right after...it might help them heal quicker. (that is what I was told and it seemed to work for Paige!)

Bekah B. said...

DO IT!! SOO Cute! I love when babies have earings! My mom did it to all of us girls when we where babies, and now I don't have to remember anything tramatic!

Jessica said...

I think it is dang cute and no different for circumcising a boy. The reason I haven't done Lexie's ear is because I don't want to have to deal with it. My friend has a little girl a week younger than Kennedy and she pierced her ears when she was a few months old. It was hard to keep her from pulling on them when they were new and tender. Now, she is always pulling them out and losing them. I think I will wait until Lexie is old enough to be responsible for them herself. My suggestion is to buy a couple of the magnetic pairs (they look like pierced ones). Then Cory can see how cute they are. You can also see how she will deal with them (thought it wouldn't be exactly the same). And you can see if you want the hassle of always checking to make sure she hasn't lost them, etc... Then if you decide to do it, you know a little more of what to expect. If you decide to wait, then you have the magnetic ones to put on her when you want her to be dressier (and people know she is a girl). Long answer, but I hope it helps.

Natalie said...

I used to be against it but I have changed my mind. Why not do it while they are too young to remember right? Plus they look so cute!

Summer Wilson said...

I think they're way cute, but my husband is against it as well. He thinks it should be the child's decision when they are ready. I kind of agree. Besides I've seen plenty of boys with their ears pierced these days, so it doesn't help with the gender differentiation.

Kimi said...

i hate that i pierced my ears, i don't think i can do it to my kid. it's so permanent.

Unknown said...

I'm on the fence. I think it is cute but my ears get infected kinda easy and I fear my kids will be blessed with the same thing and dealing with a baby/toddler with infected ear lobes... so not something I'd want to deal with. Plus I was bad enough making sure I cleaned them when I first got them done that I don't know how I would do with a baby, it'd either be easier or harder.. not sure. Easier because I'd do it when I changed diapers and make it a habit or something. Harder because I'd be so busy. Plus I lose backings and one of a pair of earrings all the time and I'm 19, I can't imagine what a baby/toddler would do! But they are cute. So this was a really long answer and I probably didn't help. I do like Jessica's idea of magnetic earrings. I know Rebekah and I had a few pairs of magnetic earrings before we got ours pierced [my family did it at 12].

Jamie Zvirzdin said...

3-lobed mutants don't have a choice, so I don't think I have the right to answer. I figure I save a lot of money, though! Ha!

Amy said...

It is a toss up for me. I got mine at 8years old after I was ready and really wanted mine pierced. It was along the lines of the age of accountability lesson before my baptism. I remember my parents using the responciblity for my earrings as an object lesson. I love the memory of them being pierced and how I felt like such a grown up. I love piercing so much though that honestly if Pres Hinckley hadn't said not to, I probably would have more. I guess I got some rebellion out with my 5 holes prior.

Anonymous said...

Was searching for a GF's blog with similar name and came across yours. Started reading and saw
your query whether or not to pierce your dd's ears now.

We did our dd early after our ped encouraged me to do it when mommy could care for them. She gave
us some suggestions for moms having their dd's ears pierced. She recommended Piercing Pagoda due to their experience with infant ear piercing and professional training. We were very pleased!

I'd say if your're thinking about, then your mommy intuition is telling earlier is better and I'd go ahead now.

Write me an e-mail if you or any other moms would like our ped's suggestions and I'll send them
to you.


Amy
amyswor@hotmail.com